Use this Visio template to collect information about the length of lines drawn over the picture, in real units. Get the real lines length in an unscaled picture.
The Document scaling template contains blank Visio document, "Gauge" master (in Document Stencil) and several functional macros.
The template contains 2 pages:
- Page-1 for drawing the lines to be measured.
- Page-2 (background) for placing an unscaled image.
A typical scenario for applying the template is as follows:
You must have a picture - a photograph of a building or a scan of a site plan as a basis. The picture should contain two points, the real distance between which is known.
- Create a Visio document based on a Document scaling template.
- Import a picture to a background page using the Insert Picture operation.
- Place the Gauge shape between two points in the picture, the distance between which is known. Enter the distance as the Gauge shape text.
- Use "Prepare" macro for auto-scaling a document.
- Draw lines or polylines to be measured on the first page of the document.
- Use "Calculate" macro for calculating and marking line lengths in real units.
- Use "Report" macro to export data to an Excel workbook.
The template can be used for:
- measuring the lengths of pipelines, enclosures, routes on a map of the area;
- measuring the cable lengths on the floor plan;
- measuring the need for decorations and trim elements for buildings;
- in other similar cases.
The peculiarity of the template is that the original image can be of any size. It is enough to know the distance between any two points in the image.
The desktop version of Microsoft Visio (from 2007 to 2019). Macro permission required.
Click Download to save the template to your computer.
Place the template anywhere. For convenient calling, the My Documents\My Shapes folder is preferred.
Download Document scaling template.
See also - Using the "Document Scaling" Visio template.